Zipp 404 Firecrest Clincher DB Rear Wheel
The Zipp 404 Firecrest Clincher DB Rear Wheel is one wheel that does it all, perfect for every riding situation that requires speed and powerful braking performance, and the convenience of clincher tyres. Designed with a rim depth and profile that has been proven in all conditions, it is an ideal option for every triathlon distance, breakaways, sprints and hill finishes. The addition of being disc brake compatible means you can brake later when coming into corners, significantly improving your riding times overall.
Efficient and Durable
The Firecrest is a standard to which all other wheels are measured, it’s been a pro favourite for nearly three decades and has won many Grand Tour stages, International Triathlons and Ironman events. At the centre of this success is the Zipp 177D hub set with its exceptional durability, rolling efficiency and bearing life, with no pre-adjustment needed; these hubs make every riding endeavour a hassle-free experience meaning you can focus on the route ahead.
Safe and Competitive Braking
The disc brake version of the 404 Firecrest compliments modern riding requirements where stopping power is a high demand. As riding is getting faster, routes are comprising of long winding descents through all weather conditions as rider competition gets fiercer; having the confidence to be able to stop and slow down competitively and safely is a major feature this wheel delivers.
- Hub Model: 177D
- Brake Standard: Disc Brake specific
- Axle: Quick Release
- Rim: Clincher
- Rim Clincher Bead Width: 16.25mm
- Rim Depth: 58mm
- Spokes: Sapim CX-Sprint
- Spoke Hole Count: 24 Hole
- Spoke Pattern: 2-cross
- Spoke Length Drive Side: 258mm
- Spoke Length Non-Drive Side: 260mm
- Max Tyre Pressure: 125psi / 8.62bars
- Dimpled Surface: Yes
- Nipples: Sapim Secure-Lock
- External Nipples: Yes
- SRAM XD R Driver Compatible: Yes (sold separately)
- Weight: 935g
- Aerodynamic Boundary Layer Control (ABLC): The Sawtooth dimple design consists of 12 nodes that are specifically clocked to start aerodynamic shearing at a rate of 50hz at a rider speed of 20mph. Sawtooth accomplishes this by inducing small sheet vortices that shed at a low magnitude, but at a higher natural frequency, thus decreasing the laminar bubble effect on the aerodynamically shielded side of the rim’s profile to further reduce high yaw drag and improve crosswind stability.
- Carbon Bridge: Adding Kevlar, stitched into a 6 bundle co-axial thread and placing this at the rim edge allows Zipp to ‘capstone’ the top of each outside diameter bridge, providing an improved way to distribute impact forces. This gives from 28% to as much as 50% improvements in impact depending on the rim type and allows Zipp to increase the lateral stiffness with minimal weight penalty.
- Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Control (VCLC): Using a vibration absorbing material that is compressed between layers of solid carbon laminate on the rim surface. This technology means that when the rim received as impact from the road, a lot of the shock is absorbed by the VCLC system, resulting in a 10% reduction in road vibration.
- Wire EDM: Electron Discharge Machining allows Zipp to precisely remove internal material from the rear hub after they have been heat treated. This removes any abnormality that can sometimes occur during the heat-treating process, resulting in perfectly finished hub shell.
Buy Zipp Wheels & Tyres from Chain Reaction Cycles, the World’s Largest Online Bike Store.