SRAM Level Ultimate Disc Brake
As its name implies, this is Avid's Ultimate brake design for cross-country and light trail use. They took the same technology used in the brake that Loic Bruni rode to a Downhill World Championship and packed it into smaller, sleeker, lighter-weight and XC-optimised package.
The carbon-fibre level blade pulls crisp and clean thanks to pivot bearings and Avid's DirectLink™ design. And it maintains that feel throughout the ride because it is matched to their Monoblock, two-piston caliper. This caliper's superior heat management and smooth piston actuation give you braking power exactly when and how you need it. And the Bleeding Edge™ design significantly simplifies fluid maintenance.
- Lever Material: Carbon
- Caliper Design: Monoblock 2-piston caliper
- Caliper Style: Post Mount
- Finish: Black Anodised
- Pad: Aluminium-backed organic
- Fluid: DOT 5.1
- Adjustment: Tooled reach adjust
- Material: Aluminium
- Pad/Holder: Top loading
- Intended Use: XC, Trail
- System: Open system
- Bend Zone™: Yes
- Ambidextrous: Yes
- Hardware: Titanium
- Weight: 318g
- Bleeding Edge: New bleed porting and fluid path make it easier to push fluid through the caliper for quick and easy bleeding, dedicated bleed adapter for the S4 caliper plugs into the bleed port and seals the system to minimise air contamination and fluid loss.
- Direct Link: SRAM's DirectLink lever design produces a solid, positive feel the second you squeeze the lever to engage the brake. It offers a no-nonsense solution to give you precise control.
- DOT 5.1: Heat is an enemy of any brake system, so advancements in heat management mean advancements in your ride. SRAM found that in their systems DOT 5.1 takes almost three times longer to boil than DOT 4, thus allowing flawless, fade-free performance in even more extreme conditions.
- Expandable Bladder: SRAM's new brake lever design includes a reshaped bladder that helps regulate and reduce air bubbles. The bladder is specifically shaped to evacuate air from the lever and push the fluid exactly where it's needed. The result is improved backpressure relief, which produces dependable braking power and consistency.
- Heat Shield: The stainless steel heat shields break the thermal connection between the pad and caliper body, reducing caliper fluid temperature by about 20C even in the most extreme testing conditions.
- Lever Pivot Bearings: Precision sealed bearings at the lever pivot enhance the clean, crisp lever actuation and consistent, light, one-finger feel.
- MatchMaker and MMX Compatible: Save weight and clutter on the bar with Matchmaker. It holds Avid levers, SRAM® triggers, and various RockShox® controls, all with one tidy, light, clamp--a dream come true for handlebar component footprint conservationists the world over.
- PiggyBack™ Reservoir: The brake fluid reservoir on SRAM's latest lever design is optimised for both performance and ease of use. The PiggyBack Reservoir offers a simple, failsafe way to manage brake fluid, and also allows for ambidextrous lever placement.
- Timing Port Closure: A hydraulic brake's timing port is the connection between the reservoir and the master cylinder bore. When the lever is squeezed, a cup seal passes this area and closes the port, which pressurises the system. SRAM's new timing port closure system features durable seals and an ultra-smooth cylinder bore finish, producing dependable braking power and consistency.
Buy SRAM Components from Chain Reaction Cycles, the World's Largest Online Bike Store.